Search This Blog

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Day 1 (November 12, 2016): Baylor Stands Up for a Student Shoved Down

As a mother, one of my worst fears is that I can't be the secret service. I can't always be there when they fall on the playground or when someone hurts their feelings. And, of course, tragedies such as Sandy Hook remind so many of us that there are even worse scenarios to contemplate . . . scenarios in which parents aren't able to do what parents instinctively do--protect their children. 

So, over time, I've learned that I have to pray for and depend upon the kindness of others. When either of my boys is under the weather, their school nurse does laps around Florence Nightingale. When I'm worried if my child with autism spectrum disorder is fitting in, I inevitably hear a report from the principal or a teacher or aide that completely assuages my fears. Even beyond school, I see how other parents, store clerks, bank tellers, and even fellow-shoppers at Jewel go out of their way to be kind to my kids . . . to give them a sucker or politely tell me a pacifier has been flung onto the floor. 

One day, I hope they'll go to college. Yet, that's the ultimate "Mommy can't be there with you" moment, right? I'm excited about the possibilities and the experiences, but the possibilities and experiences are also what scare me. 

So, when I read stories like the one in this link (http://www.wacotrib.com/news/higher_education/hundreds-walk-baylor-student-to-class-after-racial-attack-reported/article_fcc14f86-2a77-5827-8c1e-d3577bf94ee8.html), I first feel a surge of sadness and anxiety--followed by a deep breath of fresh air . . . fresh air infused with the compassion that truly exists in this country. I can't imagine what this student initially felt. I can't imagine what her parents must have felt in response to her being targeted. But I do know what I felt reading how the Baylor community responded. 




The game-changing kindness: Hundreds of people stood up for someone whom others had tried to push down. 

How it changed the game: It showed that America won't tolerate racism--and that the rally cry to oppose it is far stronger than the whimper of the cowards who spread it. 

How it could change my/your game: It exemplifies how we should respond if we witness someone being hurt or bullied. We don't sit silently like good little girls and boys. We peacefully but powerfully intercede on their behalf, like countless other Americans who make this nation great. 

*Note: I realize this occurred before 11/12/16; "One Act a Day" posts sometimes highlight different acts of kindness/strength as I hear about them, versus as they occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment